Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day two in Oak Hill, West Virginia. My little cousin, Nolan, is currently fighting sleep. The kid is screaming his head off. You would think that someone was murdering him in the next room. We just finished eating dinner. I'm about to settle into my book. 'Running with Scissors' by Augusten Burroughs. I've read it before, and I liked it a lot. Later on tonight, the girls will watch Real Housewives. I actually got roped into the show late last night, and an hour or so later, I had to get up and leave. Unlike the superficial bitches on that show, I have real problems. The fact that our generation embraces such shallow entertainment is beyond me. We cater to the lowest common denominator. Bitches and white trash families are now something to be glorified and exploited for our amusement. It's embarrassing. It's a sad commentary on our culture.

I hate reality television.

Tomorrow, I'll attend church at Grace Baptist with my grandfather for some southern-fried theology, not to mention some singing, courtesy of my friend, Kelly. Afterwards, it's on the road, headed back to Easley. I always look forward to these trips to Oak Hill. Many of my fondest childhood memories concern this place.

I'll miss it tomorrow after we've left - the unique, homey aroma of 401 Rogers, the chill in the air...I can't wait for November. Thanksgivings in Oak Hill are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment