Monday, October 29, 2012

Missing Bruce Gentry



I met Bruce Gentry on a film shoot during my sophomore year at North Greenville University. The very day that we met, I felt as though I had known him for years. He kept me laughing the entire day. We exchanged numbers, and the very next morning at 7 a.m., I got a phone call reminding me to get to my Biology class on time. From then on, we talked on the phone constantly. Bruce became as close as a brother. We shared a love of film and of music that only served to bring us closer together. Bruce was an encyclopedia of knowledge, and he was always willing to teach me new things, to expand my horizons artistically, and to keep my ADD riddled mind on task.

When I entered an internship in Marietta, GA, it was one of the first times that I had ever been away from home, living on my own. As a result of my panic disorder, I was plagued with attacks for many nights. I spoke with Bruce for hours every night that summer, and every time I would call him in a panic, he would calmly recite Psalm 91 for me, and before I knew it, the wave of fear had passed and had lulled me into a place of peace. Bruce always said, "when you share a burden, it's divided; when you share a joy, it's multiplied". During the tough times in my life, he always reminded me that I was loved, and I could always depend on him. I would find myself calling him when I was in need of comfort. He never missed a phone call. He was most definitely a caretaker. During a recent film shoot, I became ill with dehydration. There was Bruce, running to the nearest drug store, forcing me to drink Pedialyte and pulling me off the set. I would have been angry with anyone else, but because it was Bruce, because he was my brother, my best friend, and my artistic soul mate, it didn't matter. I just sat down for the remainder of the shoot, and listened to Bruce talk away about Charles Laughton and Bette Davis. I would have listened to Bruce Gentry read the phone book for hours. The man had the richest voice. He'd often leave voicemails on my phone, where he'd recite long monologues from Shakespeare, and fill up my entire inbox. I never complained. I loved every minute. He was one of the greatest actors that ever lived. Those who have worked with him one on one know this to be true. He was a consummate professional, and he absolutely adored the stage and screen. Everyone wanted to work with him. To know Bruce was to love him - that's all there is to it. I could go on and on about this beloved man.  


Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of the death of my best friend. God has placed many people in my path, but few have touched my life in the way that Bruce did. He had such a profound impact on me, one which I will never forget. In these times when I miss him dearly, I can still feel his presence. I know that he is looking down on me from Heaven, keeping a watchful eye on me, his "little Orson Welles". I miss you more than you will ever know, Brucie! I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment